This is currently a basic landing page with simply a list of categories. We want something much more powerful. Start from scratch and design a great homepage, with a focus on selling the art. (Optionally, you can also include blurbs for sellers who may want to sell their art on the website.) This homepage doesn't necessarily have to be a stand-alone intro page, as it is now; it could be similar to the "Category page" below so that the homepage immediately presents you with all the art. Or it could simply showcase a "Search" widget, with additional options to filter by price, category, etc, which then brings you to something like the "Category page" below. It's up to your creativity and what you think would be best in terms of presentation and encouraging the purchasing of art.
- Create a prominent Search widget, and directly next to the search field have a drop-down that allows you to select a category (i.e. "All Categories, Paintings & Prints, Photography, etc"), similar to how Amazon.com has a category drop-down next to their search field.
- Create a prominent area advertising something similar to: "Sell Your Art on Yessy with a 14-Day Free Trial. Create Your Own Gallery Today!" I imagine it'd be midway down the page, or at the bottom, and could even take up the entire page width. You can even include some of the bullet points taken from: https://www.yessy.com/trial.html
- Header and footer design are important, as it'll be on every page. It is recommended that you make the header/footer stand out from the rest of the page (e.g. don't make the header/footer background white if the background on the rest of the page is white), so that on pages that contain nothing but text, at least the header/footer will be clearly separated and have a pleasant design, adding to the attractiveness of an otherwise bland text page.
- The header (which will be used on every page) should at minimum contain: logo, cart, help, your account, buy art, sell art. It's your choice whether to make those icons, text, etc. If it fits with your design, consider making "Buy Art" and "Sell Art" into drop-downs, that will contain a few quick links.
- For the footer, try using some sort of painting, or abstract design, subtly blended into the background of the footer. That will provide the footer with some visual interest, especially important when the footer is simply on a text page. I'm imagining the background would be monotone, and be subtle enough so that the overlaid text is still easily readable.
Category page: https://www.yessy.com/art/
This is where visitors can browse, search, and filter the art. Feel free to size the art thumbnails/images to any size you feel is best. Right now we consider the thumbnails too tiny to properly showcase the art (a result of a 14-year-old design when screen resolutions were different). We imagine that the thumbnails will ultimately resize/rearrange according the device screen size (i.e. computer, tablet, mobile phone, etc), so keep responsive design in mind (we'll handle all the responsive design coding, etc). Definitely feel free to be creative and change how the navigation, functionality, and UI works; for instance, perhaps you can think of various ways to combine the category options/search fields into a better UI or widget; or perhaps have endless scrolling of items instead of pagination (we're not saying that's what we want; just giving examples of the leeway you have). If you can imagine it, we can probably build it.
- I'm imagining that each item will show the artist name, item title, short description (e.g. Autographed Open Edition 16"x 20"), optionally a link entitled "More sizes and options..." (if the item has more sizes and options), an add to cart button or icon. Also, something to indicate "More details", such as a "magnifying glass" icon, which the user knows to click on to go to the full item page. Probably also a "Share" icon that allows them to share the item on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Item page: https://www.yessy.com/art/?view=1207547
This is what you see when you click an item from the Category page above. You'll notice this page has 3 thumbnails that can be clicked on to show different views/details of the artwork; incorporate into your design the ability to have up to 5 different views/details (these are optional for the seller, so include the ability to have none as well). And, of course, include the item description, a cart button, related nearby links, etc, and some way to share the item on social media (whether an icon, link, or something else; It's preferable to have one minimized icon/link that expands to a list of available social media, as opposed to showing all icons by default).
- In the current header, within the "Buy Art" and "Sell Art" sections, you currently see sub-links. Those sub-links are optional and are not required to be part of your design.
- The Google ad banners you see throughout the current site can be removed and are not to be part of your design.
- The logo can be completely changed; it does not have to remain as it is; you're free to change it to better compliment your design.