How The C.Hive started their web page design journey
Our company delivers fun, personalised gifts for kids across India, such as photo-personalised DVDs featuring Spider-Man™ and Dora the Explorer™, and a full range of personalised items include temporary safety tattoos, growth charts, clocks, placemats, posters and labels. We are about to add another 15-20 products to our range.
We are looking to do a complete overhaul of our website to make it more fun and appealing to parents and their kids. The succesful designer will be engaged to design an email marketing template, plus some print material.
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
The target audience for Big Smile products is the upper end of the Indian middle class, towards the ‘strivers’ and the ‘global Indian’ market segments.
‘Strivers’ are India's huge new middle class. ‘Strivers’ tend to be senior government officials, managers of large businesses, professionals and rich farmers. As of 2007 there were 44 million people in this segment.
‘Global Indians’ include senior corporate executives, large business owners, high-end professionals, politicians and big agricultural-land owners. Members of this group have usually lived or travelled outside India and expect access to a high standard of living and products available elsewhere in the world. As of 2007 there were 1.2 million global Indian households accounting for some 2 trillion rupees in spending power.
What is common amongst these two target markets is that they aspire to a ‘western’ lifestyle and place high importance on status. They are also high users of debit cards and credit cards and make regular online purchases.
The current website, http://www.bigsmile.co.in , is outdated in design and layout and lacks visual appeal. We would like a complete redesign of the current site to add more fun, colour and excitement.
Specific points to consider include:
1. Choose a new colour scheme that is a bit easier on the eye and is versatile so that it can easily be applied to print material.
2. Do not build proposed designs around the current logo, as this may change in the future.
3. Create a homepage that is more engaging and suitable for highlighting particular products/offers as they occur.
4. Create new navigation and layout for inside pages to enable quick access to different sections of the site.
5. Keep in mind that less text for product descriptions will be used in the updated web site.
6. We'd like to see some kind of animation on the homepage.
7. The DVD products will not take precedence on the updated site as they do on the current site.
8. We will soon be adding another 15-20 products to our range, so the design should not be compromised as soon as more products are added.
9. Site should be quick to download due to often slow internet speeds in India.
10. We are looking for a fun, innovative product display section and not a traditional display.
11. Feel free to play with the logo.