SITA Lab - http://www.sita.aero
SITA provide global IT services to airlines & airports. You probably have not heard of us, but if you've ever been in an airport or on a plane you have used our services. http://www.sita.aero/about-sita/what-we-do
SITA Lab is one of the innovation centres at SITA. The Lab is a world-class facility for strategic technology research with a goal to drive innovation for the air transport industry (ATI), working both independently and in partnership with others.
One of the areas of focus of the SITA Lab is smart phones, and how they can be used by airline passenger.
The users of the mobile web app will be airline passengers with smart phones, more likely to be business travellers than leisure travellers.
These users will be continuously on the move and will need access to their travel details, or will need to make/change travel plans quickly. Therefore, the design must focus on a UI that is simple, elegant and obvious.
These users will most likely be trying to use the site with one hand, while rushing through an airport and with 85% of their mind on other tasks.
SITA Lab have developed a mobile web app for airlines. This lets passengers check flight details, make bookings and check in using a mobile phone.
A SITA Lab branded version of this can be seen at http://xs.sitalab.mobi. (Note - this is a private test app, not advertised to the general public.)
There two problems with this site -
a) As you can see, it was 'designed' by an Engineer, not a Designer.
b) The design was constrained by the fact that it had to work on basic feature phones (e.g. extensive use of drop down lists).
We need the following:
1. A rebranding of this website to match the SITA brand (reference http://www.sita.aero for colours, logo, fonts etc)
2. A redesign of the UI for use on a smartphone, not a feature phone. This means the usual limitations of mobile can be discarded and we welcome innovative 'bleeding edge' designs.
3. A design that will work on multiple smart phones (e.g. iPhone/Android) with a screen size of 320x480. Therefore, don't simply apply the iPhone look & feel, as this won't transfer to other smart phones. Also, a design that will also easily port to other screen sizes (e.g. Nexus One 480x800) is preferred.
Note: Connection speeds may be slow, so avoid extensive use of graphics.
The following pages should be redesigned:
1. The home page (index.xhtml)
- Keep the current 'menu items'.
- Would like completely fresh approach to presenting the menu options for the passenger.
2. The view booking page (a booking reference can be supplied on request)
- This page must show the passenger itinerary is a way that makes it simple & obvious to get details such as reference number, next flight.
- Also interested in options such as showing destination information (weather, events etc)
3. The make "Book Flight" page (just the first page where flights/dates are entered)
- Current design uses drop down lists to support feature phones. Want a design that does not use drop down lists.
The site we want redesigned is http://xs.sitalab.mobi.