How Drew McCormack started their logo design journey
We need a logo for our new indy dev shop "The Mental Faculty". We develop software for the Mac and iPhone, targeting science and education --- you could say 'intellectual' software. The logo could draw on concepts such as thinking, or a fictional university research faculty called 'The Mental Faculty'.
The Mental Faculty
What inspires you and how do you envision the design for your business?
'The Mental Faculty' is a newly formed company, and we need a logo to preferably relate that we are about intellectual pursuits such as studying and doing research.
The logo could relate to the intellectual aspect of our software, drawing on concepts such as thought and thinking, or places like university faculties.
Some ideas that we had ourselves, which are by no means a requirement were:
1) A big button with a cartoon thought balloon engraved on it.
2) A wooden sign like you see at universities on the grass in front of a building, with 'The Mental Faculty' on it. Around the base would be a little grass or plants. It should conjure up the idea of a magical place where exciting things happen (like you might imagine Google to be).
There is also room for some fun: the logo could play with the 'mental' aspect, as in 'crazy' or 'nuts'. (Our main product is even called 'Mental Case'.) But this should be quite subtle: we don't want a full on cartoon of a crazy person.
- Preferably imply 'intellectual' in some way
- The words 'The Mental Faculty' should appear somewhere.
- Completely comical logo. It can be fun, but we make serious software too, so it can't be a complete joke.