I had originally scheduled this to end this afternoon (Eastern US time) because I have an event tonight at which I wanted to reference the design. I doubt that I will be able to make a decision by then, so instead I'm going to confer with all my partners later tonight to try to pick a winner. So that I can collect and give all feedback, I've extended the contest slightly and given the prize a bump to account for this. If we are able to make a decision by tonight, we'll cut it off then, though. Thanks so much for the great submissions.
I've been adding some information to the brief, specifially additional logo designs I like. I especially like the National Journal one (http://www.meneyung.com/nat-journal.jpg).
I'm looking for a logo for a new social website that focuses on stories related to political campaigns or charitable causes. The logo should have a modern, web trendy yet reputable and professional logo. I'm super responsive and will answer all your questions. LOTS OF MATERIAL TO GET YOU STARTED!
NOTE: This is the second contest I've run. I was very happy with the designs in the first one and I awarded and paid a winner, but after some thought I felt none of them quite captured what I was going for. You can view the past contest here:
Contribune is a site focused on spreading the stories that cause people to contribute to political campaigns or charitable causes. The name is a portmanteau of the words "contribute" and "tribune".
The logo should be warm and inviting, but with a certain tech edginess. Ultimately, as a new site, it will need to seem trustworthy and reputable. Ideally a 45 year old mother of two should be as excited to see it as a web savy 20 something new media professional.
The site has the unique feature of ranking stories based on actual money being donated to causes. Incorporation of this donating concept, as well as the ranking and news elements is idea. Please don't use any currency signs, though. Something more subtle and less monetary would be required.
I've provided an example of the sites current design at this link: http://www.meneyung.com/design-example.jpg.
While the feel of the top text and logo can change, please attempt to fit with the rest of the site. Some of the logos I've gotten in the past looked great in a little box, but didn't look at all right when placed in context of the rest of the site. Please be aware of this when designing.
I really liked the direction of several designs that came up in the past contest. I liked #89, but felt it didn't say "news" or collaboration enough. I liked #43 a great deal, but it didn't feel substiantial enough on the page. I absolutely loved the feel of #39, but the items in the circle seemed to abstract. For awhile I really loved #75, but it looked a little generic after some testing. #85 had an extremely clever concept, but the hands creeped some people out. #79 had a good feel, but it didn't seem sharp or sophisticated enough. #82 was very nearly the winner, but it seemed slightly too political/military looking.
I've put together a few sketches of other possible concepts. Please do not feel constrained by these - I welcome new ideas. But I have seem a lot of designs so far and none of them are quite right, so if you want to do something else, consider what I've rejected in the past first. Sketches: http://www.meneyung.com/logo-sketches.jpg
Some other concepts I really like from around the web:
- http://www.meneyung.com/nat-journal.jpg - love this design, very professional, civic, news oriented.
- http://www.pageonce.com - Imagine box as a comment bubble or new story image - I really like the idea of the arrow infusing the box.Some others
- http://azarask.in/gfx/ubiquity_side.png - Probably not specific enough to my site's concept, but I like the feel a lot
- http://pixily.com/Colors are:
#bee0f3, #b5dcf1, #5dacdc - #2795d1, #ffffff, #cccccc, #e4e3e1, #b7b7b7, #222222, #ff0000
Drop shadow in photoshop:
Multiply #000000, Opacity 62%, Angle 132, Distance 2, Spread 0, Size 1, standard angle contour, no aa, 0% noise
- Must incorporate the "Contribune" name.
- Must match current site color scheme of blues, white and black and some red (don't need to use all colors)
- Must be viewable on mixed blue background and also on white (multiple versions ok)
- If using drop shadows, match to existing drop shadows on the site (if you think a different shadow would look better, go for it, but keep in mind the existing ones on the site)
- Tagline underneath (or where ever makes sense, really - text of tagline doesn't matter)
- Full layered EPS, AI or PSD
- Nothing excessively visually complex
- No chrome or metal looks
- No excessive glossiness
- No dollar signs or other currency signs