THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW DESIGNS.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO SUBMITTED!! THIS WAS TRULY A FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE!
We will continue to work with our 4 star designers to get to a winning design.
Dictionary.com is one of the most visited sites on the weband has been described as part of the "holy trinity" of internetresearch (along with Google and Wikipedia). Our site hosts 70 millionpeople each month who want definitions, alternate meanings, spellingsuggestions, example usage, synonyms, pronunciations, and translations formillions of words. People come toDictionary.com to feel smarter and communicate better.
Embodies our core emotional value and brand drivers
Design the logo to evoke:
- Accurate and authoritative
- Reliable and consistent
- Direct and absolute
- Inspirational, connected, and interactive
- Quick and easy to useIs distinct and memorable
- Make our brand identity particularly distinct and memorable,especially when our users are off our website. We want people to remember that the great experience they get fromDictionary.com is provided by a specific brand, not just a generic domain nameor “the internet” in general.Works as just an icon
- Make the logo instantly identifiable as part ofDictionary.com, even at small sizes and without the word “dictionary.com”. We want to push our service beyond ourwebsite and into additional platforms, such as iPhone, Facebook, word games, toolbars,desktops, favicons, third party websites, and offline contexts. Extends to our sub-brands (nice-to-have, not mandatory)
- Consider or demonstrate how the logo could extend with our sub-brandsbrands. We also operate Thesaurus.comand Reference.com, and we may acquire additional similar domains in thefuture. Making the logo look perfect forthe primary “Dictionary.com” brand, however, is by far the most important task.Considers other factors (nice-to-have, not mandatory, DON"T SACRIFICE THE OTHER ELEMENTS FOR THIS!)
- Show consistency with our current logo. This transition may be via use of the colorscheme (blue for Dictionary.com, yellow for Thesaurus.com, etc.), or bycreative re-imagining of the current “comet” logo.- Creatively incorporate some element(s) of the Ask.com logoor site. Ask.com is the parent companyof Dictionary.com.
- Works as a word (dictionary.com) and an icon
- Can be used online, off-site, and offline
- Very memorable and distinct
- Evokes our core emotional values of accuracy, authority, reliable,etc.
- Extensible to current and future sub-brands, e.g.,Thesaurus.com
- May (not required) include some creative consistency withcurrent logo and the Ask.com logo
- Abstract designs / icons that would not be recognizable aspart of Dictionary.com
- Designs that don’t contain our emotional values
- Anything too generically “dictionary”