The amazing designer got fast responses and very quick proposals during all the project. Will repeat.
How jps started their logo design journey
Landscape Ecology at Penn State
Landscape Ecology at Penn State is a group of PhDs, graduate students, and undergrads who study processes of ecological change at large scales. We need a logo to "brand" our scientific contributions. It will be used at Penn State University, professional conferences, and in print advertisements for new personnel.
Landscape Ecology at Penn State (LEAPS) is an academic group of scientists led by Erica Smithwick, PhD. The group includes Post-Doctoral researchers, graduate students, and undergraduates. We are ecologists housed in a Geography Department. Our interests are diverse - we study forests and the soils that support them but we are also interested in green infrastructure. We are interested in processes of change, such as fire and climate change and the role of people in managing ecosystems. We work in Pennsylvania, the Appalachian Mountains, the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (WY), Ghana, and South Africa.
Tell us a bit about who you are and the people you reach
Because our work is so diverse, we are looking for a logo to help other scientists recognize the combined productivity of our lab. We will use the logo on our website, which is primarily visited by other scientists with similar interests. We will also use the logo on powerpoint slides for conference presentations and for print advertisements for personnel.
We would like the logo to "say" that we are scientists. It should indicate that we work in a "green" or "environmental" field. The Ecological Society of America (http://www.esa.org) is probably the best match for a professional community for us, and thus might help in the brainstorming process. The International Association of Landscape Ecologists (http://www.landscape-ecology.org/) is another good match.
Ultimately, many visitors will arrive at our website from this link on the newly redesigned departmental webpage:
Please feel free to use anything from that page as a source of design inspiration.
* Instantly recognizable (brandable)
* Clean and modern
* Designs should be able to be utilized on a variety of media - web, print, business cards, etc so the following formats preferred .eps, .jpg/.png/.gif, and .tiff
* Designs that will have full copyright transferred to us - however we are happy for you to display the logo in your portfolio.
* Designs will be in color most of the time, but still need to work in black and white with no gradients, i.e. journal advertisements
THINGS WE DO NOT WANT:
* Designs should not be overly flashy/busy.
* Designs that are essentially the company name next to clip art. These types will be eliminated promptly. Winning design should be 100% original.