We need an icon for an iOS camera app that incorporates a 5-star rating system. The stars in the app are currently yellow-orange (see screenshots attached), but the color can be revised to better fit the design. The rating functions via a star slider.
The app's UI is fairly minimalist with most of the elements as icons over mostly-transparent dark backgrounds. The icons are gray or white, and incorporate a star in their design. The stars, "Next" icon, and the word "Rate" in the logo are the only color elements (besides the picture) and they will match the star color discussed in the previous paragraph.
The current logo (see attached) is work-in-progress and can also be revised to better fit a direction in the icon design. The logo font is "Marguerite."
The app is a relatively-minimalist design which utilizes icons instead of text on buttons. (See screenshots attached) Thematically, the app should be seen as a utility or tool, rather than a toy. However, the app's social identity will be light-hearted and casual. (See previous projects http://www.sweetbandsapparel.com and http://www.moustachette.com for examples of our social positioning.) We imagine the app will be used to record and rate food, places of interest (ie monuments, museums, national parks, etc), and businesses.
(*THESE AREN'T MEANT TO GIVE SPECIFIC DIRECTION, BUT AS A RFERENCE SURVEY OF SOME ICONS IN SIMILAR OR THE SAME CATEGORY AS THE EverRate APP.*)
In the attached PDF "Everrate_CameraIconSamples_PhotoVideo.pdf," you'll find sample icons from the App Store with designs featuring a camera.
In the attached PDF "Everrate_StarIconSamples.pdf," you'll find samples of icon designs with stars included.
In the attached PDF "Everrate_IconInspiration.pdf," you'll find samples of icons that we like. These shouldn't be construed as specific direction, but examples of the type of aesthetic we usually like. We definitely lean more toward flat design, but we're open to anything.
- We like the idea of an iconic symbol that defines EverRate (i.e. the Twitter bird, the Evernote elephant, the Pinterest pin/P, etc), but we wonder how far we can go away from the camera icon. The camera and stars are the most important functions of the app. But, again, we're open to all ideas. We like being surprised.
- The icons in the "Icon Inspiration" pdf typically include a range of colors. We're mindful of the icon's colors flowing with the palette of the app's UI. We're open to all ideas and there's definitely room for adjustment in the UI, but we obviously need the icon and app UI to complement each other and flow.
iPhone 4 and 5
(iPad and Android to follow)
- Design must account for eventual iPad and Android versions of app.
- Design must account for Retina display quality requirements.
- Delivery will include a vector version of the final icon design.
- Delivery will include a vector version of the design in a square format to be used for profile badges.
- Delivery will include color palette info.