iPhone and Android app icon design.
The app is an interactive travel guide for Venice. The icon should be specific to Venice, but more cities will come, so the design must be able to accomodate different versions.
Hence, we'd like a design based on an element specific to the city (Venice in this case - maybe the San Marco Lion), and an element common to the product line (we thought about a key, which represents the fact that the guide symbolically opens the doors of the city).
Please see the attached hand-drawn draft.
We'd like a simple, clean design.
Our perception is that it should be based on one or two colors capturing the user interest (maybe red, yellow or violet).
Please note that the above are only rough guidelines, feel free to express your creativity!
As a reference, some Venice lion pictures:
The general requirements are:
- Clean, sharp and focused design
- Inspire a feeling of quality
- Application icon suitable for high resolution iPhone (114x114 pixels)
- Apple App Store icon (512x512 pixels)
- Android launcher icon suitable for extra-high density screen (320 dpi - 96x96 pixels)
- Android market icon (512x512 pixels)
The following are all optional but considered a plus:
- Spotlight search icon (29x29 pixels)
- iPad icon (72x72 pixels)
- iPad spotlight search icon (50x50 pixels)
- Android icons for lower resolutions (240 dpi - 72x72px ; 160 dpi - 48x48px ; 120 dpi - 36x36px)
The icons must respect the Apple iOS Human Interface Guidelines for the iPhone version, and the Android design guidelines for the Android version:
The files we will require are:
Print file format (vector) - .ai (CMYK)
Web file format (raster) - .png/.jpg and layered .psd (RGB)
The vector format files should be properly layered, with background and borders on separate layers. Also the city-specific elements should be on separate layers too.
Please do not use any stock images or clip art in the logo.
Feel free to be creative.
As a reference, here are some examples of app icons we like (not necessarily related):
- iTunes (for the background gradient) - http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/20…0_icon.jpg
- Bimby Hd (for the simplicity and elegance) - http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/086…175-75.jpg
- Facebook (for the "recognizability") - http://www.tyvm.eu/wp-content/uploa…743200.jpg
- Dolphin Browser Hd (for light, clarity, color) - https://ssl.gstatic.com/android/mar…cfcbc857ce
- Inkpad (for clarity of message) - http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/064…175-75.jpg
- Google Earth - http://aux.iconpedia.net/uploads/18…273910.png
- Sky Go Italia (for clarity, color gradients) - http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/078…175-75.jpg
- Xplane for Ipad (for colors and composition) - http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/099…100-75.jpg